SEO website design is an essential skill for anyone who wants to be successful online. It is the art and science of creating content that is adored by readers and search engines alike. Doing so is the key to rank high on Google and other search engines.
SEO website design is a relatively new field. In former times you were either an SEO specialist or a website designer. It’s only in recent years that SEO has gotten less technical and the importance of quality writing has gone up.
If you have not dealt with this topic yet, don’t worry. Our SEO website design tips below will teach you all you need to know to get started. You will learn exactly what we understand under SEO website design and how you can start using it on your website.
What is SEO website design?
When trying to understand SEO website design, it helps to examine the parts the word is made up of.
SEO, stands for search engine optimization. It is the method of optimizing your site and content to achieve higher rankings in Google.
Website Design, on the other hand, is about the human side. A website designer tries to find the right words and sentences to get visitors and readers to take a desired action. For that reason, to be an effective website designer, you need to understand human psychology and have a keen insight into the audience you are designing for.
SEO website design combines these two disciplines in order to create compelling content that targets both search keywords and the hearts and minds of client readers. In order to do so, the discipline touches up the following elements:
- Technical SEO — That means all technical aspects of search engine optimization. Includes proper markup, fast loading times and mobile friendliness.
- Audience and keyword research — The bread and butter of SEOs. Finding out what people type into search engines, their intent and what else there is to know about them.
- Content creation — Taking the knowledge gathered in the step before and turning it into high-quality, relevant, compelling content that readers will love.
- On-page optimization — Putting the finishing touches to content to make sure search engines can understand what it’s about.
SEO Website Design Tips For Effective Content Creation
- Create marketing personas — Personas are fictional profiles of audience members. They help you understand you readers on a personal level let you find and create topics for them.
- Check your web analytics — Google Analytics and similar services are treasure troves of information about your audience. From what content they most like and what else they look at on your site to where they are from – you can learn a ton from your analytics.
- Do a competitor analysis — The best performing content on competitor sites and comments underneath will inform you about what your audience is looking for as well.
- Search social media — All you need to do is listen to gain loads of insights.
- Perform keyword research — Of course, classic SEO work is also part of audience research. Knowing keywords and key phrases your audience types into Google allows you to understand them on a deep level.
When you have decided on a topic and/or keyword, it’s time to get to writing. Here are a few tips to make this process easier:
- Create an outline — Writing a blog post becomes infinitely easier if you have a scaffolding in place that you can work along. This is what an outline is for and it’s where most of the work happens. For a good outline, decide on the goal of your piece as well as the information you want to include and its order.
- Just write — Once you get to writing, just concentrate on volume. Don’t edit, don’t stop, don’t think about it too much. Just try to get the words out.
- Structure well — To make your text more legible, create lots of paragraphs, use headings and subheadings, lists (such as this one) and anything else that makes content scanable.
- Polish during editing — Once you get to the editing stage, the real work begins. Proofread, focus on sentence and paragraph structure as well as text flow. Particularly for the latter, use loads of transition words.
Optimize the Headline
The headline is one of the most important parts of your content. It’s the first thing users will see in the search engines and determines whether they will click through to your site or not.
Do On-Page Optimization
On-page optimization is crucial to make sure your content checks all the necessary SEO boxes. Failing to do so can exile a great piece of writing to a far off page in Google just because it is missing crucial markers.
SEO website design skills are something every website owner should invest in. It is the secret sauce to creating content that is loved by readers and picked up by search engines.
Apart from that, together with the web and search engines, SEO website design will keep evolving, so it’s an ongoing learning process anyway.